Are you ever eating a kale salad, wishing you had a few carbs to go along with it? Why not press those greens in between two pieces of fresh Seven Stars bread! With melted Narragansett Creamery cheese and sweet shallots, this warm sandwich is sure to get you through those Monday blues.
Makes 2 servings
1 2/3 T olive oil
4 1/3 T unsalted butter
1/8 t Kosher salt
1/8 t sugar
1 small head of kale
6oz Narragansett Creamery Atwells Gold cheese (or substitute another Narragansett Creamery cheese, liked smoked mozzarella!)*
Seven Stars Durum Round bread*
*From this week's share
1. Peel and slice shallots, then add to a sauté pan with 2/3 T (2t) oil and 1/3 T (1 t) unsalted butter. Cook over medium heat, adding the salt and sugar after 5 minutes. Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally until shallots are lightly browned (~5 more minutes).
2. Wash kale thoroughly, then cut out stems. Chop leaves coarsely, then sauté in 1 T oil until lightly charred.
3. Slice four 1 in. pieces of the Durum Round loaf. Thinly slice 6 oz cheese (enough to cover 4 pieces of bread).
4. Heat 2 T butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat then add 2 slices of bread. Brown both sides.
5. Reduce heat to low, then add cheese to both slices. After cheese is melted, add shallots to one side and kale to the other. Compress sandwich, then remove from pan, slice, and serve!
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for the second sandwich.