There is no doubt that winter is here! Spend your evening over a warm stove, using the carrots and onion from this week's share to make a delicious soup. The sweetness of carrots pairs perfectly with the tanginess of ginger, creating a flavor your taste buds are sure to remember.
Carrot Ginger Soup
Makes 2 servings
6 medium carrots*
1 small potato
1 yellow onion*
2 T olive oil
1/2 t Kosher salt
1 - 1 1/2 T freshly grated ginger (depending on intensity)
3 C vegetable stock
1/2 C Rhody Fresh Whole Milk*
Basil leaves (to garnish)
*From this week's share
1. Peel and slice onions and carrots, then peel and dice potato.
2. Add vegetables to a pot with 2 T oil and 1/4 t salt.
3. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
4. Peel and grate ginger, then add to pot with vegetable stock.
5. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender.
6. Puree mixture in blender, then return to pot and bring soup to a boil.
***BLENDING HOT LIQUIDS: When blending hot liquids, remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid; that prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times, then process on high speed until smooth (Robert Irvine, 2014).
7. Add 1/4 t salt and milk to pot, then simmer over low heat until soup thickens (5-7mins).